2012/11/19

Poor advertising.

I just got an ad on Facebook asking, "Got stretchmarks?" To which I replied, "Lulz, no." Truthfully!

I feel kind of like a piece of shit; my pregnancy has been sinfully easy. Sometimes I fear Siren must be at risk for birth defects, just because being pregnant with her is so abnormally normal. Yeah, my back hurts--especially where my spine starts headed eastbound from scoliosis--and I'm always way hungrier than I have room in there for, and Siren's options for in-the-womb playtime seem to involve either my cervix or my ribcage, but I feel like those discomforts are par for the course. I did sign myself up to sublet my uterus to a first-time roommate. (She probably leaves all the lights on in there before I get home. She definitely eats all the food.)
     The traditionally-associated discomforts of pregnancy, though--the stretchmarks, the unshakable extra pounds, the swelling feet & ankles--have all escaped me. My mother was the same way: she remained relatively small throughout her pregnancy, and (like myself) had no need to buy bigger clothes. We do come from an island nation where nearly one-hundred million tiny Asian people share land.

That said, there are a few things I wish Facebook had bothered to waste their poor advertising on--many of them things no one tells you before you decide to keep your kid. Among them...

  1. "Hey, is your snatch really itchy for no reason?"
  2. "Actually, come to think of it, is the rest of you really itchy, too?"
  3. "Are you hairy as fuck? Like, moreso than usual?"
  4. "Do drunk dudes try to hit on you by asking if they can touch your belly?"
  5. "Were you on birth control when you got pregnant, and want to choose a form of birth control for after you give birth, in a pathetic attempt to prevent this from happening to you in another year-and-a-half?"
I really gotta get rollin' on number five. I thought it was just poverty, poor family planning, and religious fundamentalism that dictate why Filipinos automatically associate sexual activity with pregnancy. Boy howdy, was I wrong as shit...

No comments:

Post a Comment